Winter is brutal on every part of the body, including your feet. Your feet often see the most “wear and tear” of all your body parts, but it’s never so obvious as when you’re suffering from dry winter feet in Rochester Hills, MI. You can lessen the pain and keep your feet warm and comfortable by following these simple winter foot care tips:
- Keep your feet clean and dry: The most important thing you can do for your feet is keeping them clean and dry. Damp skin can get sore and chapped, while wet socks increase bacteria buildup. Be sure to thoroughly dry your shoes and boots, too, and consider carrying around a pair of extra shoes and socks for those days when you get caught in an unexpected downpour.
- Wear properly-fitting shoes: If your shoes are too tight, that can affect the circulation in your feet. In a worst-case scenario, that lack of circulation can lead to frostbite. If your shoes fit well, they should be slightly snug but still have enough room for you to wiggle your toes.
- Opt for natural materials: Using natural, breathable materials like cotton and leather can help keep your feet dry. Cotton socks wick away moisture, while leather allows the feet to “breathe.”
- Try a soak: If your feet are already dry and cracked, try soaking them in a mixture of one cup Listerine, one cup vinegar and two cups warm water for 30 to 40 minutes. The Listerine removes dead, dry skin as well as treats fungal infections.
- Use spray-on bandages for cracked heels: If you’ve ever had the unpleasant experience of a regular bandage sliding off in your shoe during the day, you might try spray-on or liquid bandages for your cracked heels. Just apply the liquid bandage and let it come off naturally as your skin heals.
- Heel balms: These thick moisturizers are formulated to soften and exfoliate the thick, dry skin of your heels. Oftentimes they will include gentle chemical exfoliants like salicylic acid. You can find these heel balms at most drugstores and supermarkets.
- Check your feet regularly: Diabetic foot care in Rochester Hills, MI is important—you should check your feet regularly for signs of cracks, ingrown toenails and swelling, all of which can lead to more serious problems. Be sure to visit your medical provider as soon as you notice any of these symptoms.
By following these tips, you can more easily ensure a winter free of foot pain.
Haig Shoes has the selection and service you need to keep your feet comfortable all year long. Our goal is to carry comfortable, well-made shoes without sacrificing style for function. Our store carries all the top-quality brands you’ve come to love, such as Ugg and Birkenstock, and we also offer a range of accessories like arch supports and socks. Stop by today and let our friendly team help you find the right pair of shoes to get you through the winter. We look forward to seeing you soon!