There’s nothing worse than dressing warmly for winter, and then immediately stepping into a puddle. Cold feet aren’t just uncomfortable—if temperatures are extreme enough, they can be dangerous. Make sure your feet are protected from the elements with great shoes, warm socks and these tips for winter foot care in Rochester Hills, MI.
Of course, if you need help selecting winter shoes that will keep you warm all season long, talk to the experts at Haig Shoes. We’ve been helping area residents keep their feet warm since 1987!
- Always get the right socks: You’re probably thinking that the warmer and thicker the socks, the better your feet will feel, right? That might work indoors—thick wool socks by the fire can be a wonderful luxury—but not when you’re on the go. Thick socks or multiple pairs actually put pressure on your feet and can cut off your circulation. You’re better off choosing a medium-weight, moisture-wicking option. Avoid cotton—they can make your feet feel colder and even cause or worsen frostbite.
- Opt for waterproof boots: Whether rain, sleet or snow, you don’t want to get caught in a storm wearing a pair of Chucks. Look for warm, breathable winter boots that are waterproof.
- Insoles can help: If you have to stand on cold surfaces for long periods of time, your feet will actually feel colder than if you were in your stocking feet. Warm woolen insoles can help block the cold ground temperature.
- Keep it moving: You probably know that boosting your circulation helps the body maintain warmth, but maybe you haven’t considered that it will specifically help your frozen feet. When you keep moving, it helps blood flow to your extremities. That’s because extreme cold causes your body to focus on keeping its core temperature up, so your organs continue to operate normally even if your feet and hands are freezing. Bouncing around helps get the blood back into your hands and toes where it belongs.
- Dry your boots: Finally, you need to keep your shoes clean and dry. When you come home each night, be sure to set your boots in front of a heating source so that they dry thoroughly before you need to use them again. Stepping into cold, wet boots is not only uncomfortable, but it can create the perfect conditions for frostbite and other nasty conditions as well.
Winter foot protection in Rochester Hills, MI
Since 1987, Haig Shoes has been offering the best in winter foot protection for the Rochester Hills, MI area, in the form of great footwear at affordable prices. We put a premium on comfort as well as style, which is reflected in our carefully curated selection. Whatever your shoe concerns may be, we can help you find a style and fit that’s sure to keep you comfortable and warm all winter long. Stop by or call today to find out which footwear option might be right for you, or to see whether we have your longtime favorites in stock!