In the summer, you can often put looks above practical concerns when it comes to what you wear, but in the winter, especially here in Rochester Hills, MI, you are obliged to be a bit more practical. You need a boot that will keep you warm, help you stay on your feet and keep you comfortable while you brave the cold, snow, ice and freezing rain. Included in this post are what we believe are the five most important things to consider when shopping for winter boots this year:
- Comfort: It might seem silly to put comfort first, but you’re going to be spending a lot of time in your boots. For this reason, you want to make sure that you get a boot with good foot support, and one that is relatively lightweight without sacrificing in water-tightness. You would be surprised how much heavy boots can hurt your back given a long winter of daily use.
- A combination of warmth and breathability: You want warm boots, of course, but be careful with cheaper boots with warm lining. If the boot is not properly breathable, this means that your feet will get too hot and begin to sweat when you walk for a long period of time. And then this wetness will actually make your feet colder!
- Good traction: This is another very practical concern. Your boot needs to have the best traction possible. Your rubber outsole should be thick, and the lugs on the bottom should be deep and designed to grip. This makes it easier to maintain your balance on icy concrete, as well as to maintain your balance out in nature if, for instance, you like to hike in the winter.
- Look for waterproof boots: Completely waterproof boots in Rochester Hills, MI are not only made with water-resistant materials, but have other design features which make them truly watertight. You should look for waterproof boots with a gusseted tongue—that is, a tongue that is attached to the inside of the boot with additional triangular pieces of fabric that provide another water-resistant layer to keep water from seeping down the side of the tongue. Also there should be a cuff or collar at the top of the boot, which will keep water and snow from entering your boot even when it is totally submerged.
- Good ankle support: Finally, your boots should provide sufficient ankle support. In the winter, your chances of losing your footing increase, as does the amount of weight that you carry daily. Both of these things could make a fall quite painful on your ankles. Just look for a boot with top-to-bottom lacing that laces firmly against your foot and ankle.
If you are looking for waterproof boots in Rochester Hills, MI, come in to Haig Shoes today. We carry a variety of good-looking waterproof boots from the best brands in the business. We can help you find the best fit for your feet, guaranteeing you and your feet the warmest most comfortable winter you’ve ever had. Come in today and see why we’ve been Rochester Hills’ leading provider of quality footwear and waterproof boots for the last 30 years.