For many students throughout the area, it is almost time to head back to school, when means now is the time to start your back to school shopping. Whatever your price point or desired style may be, Haig Shoes is bound to have the perfect selection for you! We carry a huge variety of sneakers and sandals in Rochester Hills, MI perfect for all ages. Even though it is mostly kids heading back to school, this time of year means a lot of preparation for parents. For many families, shopping with children is not always the easiest task, so here are a few tips to make your back to school shopping a bit easier at Haig Shoes:
- Fit after fitness: Children’s feet are notorious for swelling due to activity. Trying on shoes while the foot is the most swollen will guarantee the perfect fit regardless of what time of day it is. Have your child try on shoes near the end of the day or after playtime.
- Measure every time: Even if you just purchased a new pair of shoes for your son or daughter a few months ago, it is important that their foot is sized every time a new pair of shoes is purchased. Children’s feet grown incredibly quickly, so do not rely on previous measurements, as they may already be too small.
- Get the perfect fit: When shopping at Haig Shoes, one of our highly trained associates will measure your child’s foot in order to ensure the perfect fit. They will not only measure the length of your child’s foot, but also the width of the foot. A proper fit is crucial for children as an incorrect shoe size can be detrimental to a growing foot.
- Think big: Many children’s feet are not the same size due to the rate of growth. If your child has one foot that is slightly larger than the other, purchase the larger size so the bigger foot will not be squeezed.
- Don’t plan on growing into them: Despite what you may have heard, it is not recommended to purchase a larger shoe size in hopes that your child will grow into the shoes. It is actually very unlikely that your child’s foot will grow into the shoe before it wears out. A shoe that is too large can also be a safety hazard, as it can lead to slips, trips or falls and can ultimately be just as painful as wearing a shoe that is too small.
- Let your child’s thumb be your guide: Many parents will recommend leaving a space the width of a thumb between the longest toe and the end of the shoe. While this advice is a good indicator of a proper fit, the child’s thumb should actually be used for this measurement as opposed to the parent’s. Also remember that, for many children, the “big” toe is not always the longest!
Whether you are looking for new ballet flats or athletic shoes, Haig Shoes is here to help make back to school shopping fun and easy for both parents and children, whether you’re looking for running shoes or sandals in Rochester Hills, MI. If all goes well, remember to pick up a pair of shoes as a reward for yourself!