“Take care of your body for when you get older.” Every parent and healthcare professional ever has uttered that phrase or something similar at one point or another—and you can disagree, but they’re not wrong. Today, we’ll focus on how problems with your feet can affect your entire body. From balance to skeletal alignment to fatigue, your feet really do have an impact on your overall health.
Your feet keep you stable and grounded, and they are also essential to your overall health and wellbeing. In fact, the feet have over 200 muscles, ligaments and tendons, 60 joints and 25 percent of all the bones in your body. That’s a lot to keep track of!
Three things feet can affect
Because your feet are your body’s foundation, if they have problems, then your entire body will have problems. Here are the most notable things that your feet can affect:
- Your posture: Poor posture is a physical issue that can occur as the result of how you stand, walk, run and bend. These behaviors must be corrected fast or you risk chronic pain in certain parts of your body, including the feet, back, knees, neck and hips. Wearing custom orthotics and proper comfort shoes in Rochester Hills, MI can help improve your posture.
- Your organ health: It’s true that your feet influence organ health. There are millions of nerves in the feet sending messages to the brain, but a lack of function will cause the brain to overcompensate. This lack of communication affects the structures of your body that hold your organs in place.
- Your arches: Poor body alignment can cause fallen arches. Without the proper arch support, there’s nothing to cushion the shock of your steps. Eventually, that stress makes its way up your body and settles in the knees, hips and other joints.
Three ways to keep your feet healthy
Of all your body parts, your feet likely receive the most abuse and neglect. Any foot pain you feel and problems you have now will only worsen with age. Pain, tendinitis, arthritis, bunions and other issues can seriously limit your mobility later in life, but there are steps you can take to remain in good health now:
- Wear good shoes: The shoes you wear every day must be comfortable and supportive—your feet will hate you if you get a shoe purely for fashion. For the sake of your feet and health, find a proper fitting pair of comfort shoes in Rochester Hills, MI.
- Stretch your feet: Whether you stretch before workouts or frequently throughout the day, don’t forget to stretch the Achilles tendon and the tops and bottoms of your feet. Stretches can help treat and even prevent foot pain.
- Maintain a healthy weight: As we all know, being overweight can have detrimental effects on your body and overall health. The extra weight increases your chances of conditions like poor blood circulation, arthritis in the feet and joint pain associated with problems in the feet.
Haig Shoes has the best selection of casual, dress and comfort shoes in Rochester Hills, MI for men and women. Visit our shop today to find the footwear to keep your feet healthy and happy!